Wednesday 13 April 2011

U2- Song of the day

To prove to some people and i won't mention any names, that U2 are a great band that have and continue to make great songs i would like to present to you, One, performed at the Pavarotti and Friends benefit concert in Modena, Italy 1995.
When I went to see U2 I can honestly say that it is the happiest i have ever felt. After a pretty shitty year where 12 days into the new year i found out my mum and dad were splitting up i became depressed so seeing U2 was like being shown a light. I can't tell you how much the band means to me, but let me say this, the only time i have ever cried from happiness was on 20th August 2009 at the Don Valley Stadium- however i also believe it is the happiest the band feels when they are on stage. You can see on Bono's face in the video the enjoyment he gets from performing. This is a band who has made it's money and could quite happily give up and live a life in luxury no problem, but no because this band isn't about money- sure they like it but who doesn't? They get a kick out of performing and making music which is why they continue to do so over and over again, making great album after great album.
If U2 are good enough for Brian Eno (he is there producer), Bowie (he is a fan), Springsteen ( he regularly joins them on stage during tours) REM (they are friends) and countless other musicians who have been inspired by U2:
The Killers
Kings of leon
Muse
Green Day
Arcade Fire etc (they are just off the top of my head)
Then U2 are more than good enough for me

No comments:

Post a Comment