Friday 24 February 2012

Robin Pecknold- Song of the week

Photo by Andy Sheppard
So after some cryptic tweets, Robin Pecknold, lead-singer of folk group Fleet Foxes, announced that he was "legitimately single for the first time in like literally ten years"  after he broke up with his long term girlfriend. Now don't worry I'm not going to turn into NME on you and only report flat journalism like the personal lives of musicians, however it was after these messages (that have since been deleted along with Pecknold's account and the link he put up on soundcloud) that he posted a song he had written lamenting the relationship. 'Olivia, In a Separate Bed' is a heartbreaking song, a simple demo with nothing other than a guitar and Pecknold's haunting Paul Simon-esqe voice which sounds more wounded and pained than ever before. Throughout the song Pecknold indicates at problems in the relationship,
"I chose the love of strangers, I chose the fickle crowd,
And the woman I wagered, won't look at me right now,
I know I've been like a house cat,
Give me this, give me that..."
While also still professing his loe for Olivia,
"Olivia I still love you, and I know I will 'til I die"
Lets all collectively weep and hope the best for Robin and his love.

No comments:

Post a Comment