Friday 6 May 2011

Mr Leonard Cohen

If you haven't heard of this gentleman then please take a look at the two instructions below
1. discard your entire Lady Gaga, Kesha and Rihanna filled record collection and seriously take a look at your life and think about what you are here on this planet for
2. If the answer to your questioning is to continue listening to the utter garbage that is mediocre, manufactured pop then all that is simply left to do is throw yourself from the nearest, tallest building you can find!
Yes this is how strongly I feel about this man and if you don't like me talking like this then it's tough- this is a legend and a lyrical genious with one of the most distinctive voices to have ever been recorded. This is the man who brought us such poetry as:
Suzanne
Who by fire
So Long, Marianne (my personal favourite)
Hey, That's no way to say goodbye
The Stranger song
and let us not forget Hallelujah, Cohen's most popular and well known song that has been covered by countless artists such as Bob Dylan, John Cale, Jeff Buckley, Damian Rice,K. D Lang, Rufus Wainwright and the forgettable Alexandra Burke.
However when all is said and done, it is Cohen who does is it the best...


It is said that Cohen originally wrote over 80 verses of Hallelujah before (obviously) cutting some out. Now that is a) absolutely genious and b) not fair, I mean how are we supposed to keep up with him when he is going off writing what will inevitably be 80 outstandingly stunning verses?

One more thing if anyone even dares to comment or email me or text me- in fact even thinks that Leonard Cohen doesn't have a good voice then I will hunt you down and seriously harm you. You have to understand that just like Bob Dylan, Tom Waits Cohen's voice is perfect for the songs he writes- that is why nobody has ever or will ever be able to do a cover that is superior.
As Lou Reed so eloquently put it, "we are so lucky to be alive at the same time as Leonard Cohen" couldn't have put it better myself.
Ps. Those of you who don't know who Lou Reed is, you obviously shouldn't be reading my blog.

2 comments:

  1. I love Bird on the wire and The Partisan and lots more but I couldn't list them all I mean there's Chelsea Hotel, First we take Manhattan- so many the guy is a poet!

    ReplyDelete